Animal welfare is central to meeting the demand for robust, ethical and sustainable animal production systems.
Murdoch Animal Welfare researchers are working with sheep, cattle, pig, and goat industries towards:
- Developing novel objective methods to measure animal welfare in production systems. Read more
- Developing animal welfare benchmarking systems. Read more
- Understanding the effects of environmental and management stress (e.g. thermal, confinement, handling, transport, or social stress) on health and well being of livestock.
- Developing best practice systems for food animal supply chain that promotes welfare and secures high meat quality.
- Understanding key factors influencing lamb survival.
- Develop on-farm strategies to mitigate pain associated with routine husbandry procedures in livestock. Read more
- Developing detection methods for infectious agents and understanding transmission dynamics.
- Understanding animal health issues. Read more